Risk of Rain 2 is one of the best roguelike games that we’ve seen in recent times and it expanded over its predecessor in every way imaginable. With a transition to fully 3D gameplay, more content, a larger amount of characters, and vast improvements to the gameplay – it is truly the sequel that we deserved.
If you’re getting started with the game and want to know who the best characters are and how to unlock them, then you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve created a coherent guide of the tier list of the game as well as how you can unlock the characters that we will be talking about in this list. So, without taking any more of your time, let’s get right into it.
Risk of Rain 2 Characters Tier List For 2021
These are the best risk of rain 2 characters to use today. Right from S-Tier characters to D-Tier characters in Risk of Rain 2.
1. Engineer (S-Tier)
The title of the best character is never easy to debate, but almost every Risk of Rain 2 tier list formed by expert players agrees that Engineer is the very least top 3 in the ranks of Risk of Rain 2 characters. Upon further research, we have decided that he is not only one of the best characters in the game – but also the highest on the tier list.
The reason behind that is that he is the best survivor in the game thanks to his ability to heal himself, have great defensive options, and also deal a great amount of damage with the right items.
He is especially a great character for those that wish to play the game solo, as those players need someone who can watch their back against the harder bosses and Engineer is a great all-rounder in those regards.
The only drawback he has is that he can’t escape that well due to poor mobility, so you’d be hitting retry a lot if you can’t figure out how to keep certain enemies at bay. However, he can still keep one of the highest DPS in the game while being on the run, which makes up for it.
2. Artificer (S-Tier)
Artificer is hard to master character to start off with, but once you get the hang of it, she’s one of the most rewarding characters to play within the game, thanks to her ability to utilize each item’s power to its best potential while dealing massive amounts of damage.
She’s kind of an all-rounder character like Engineer, but with an emphasis on management and strategizing rather than being a tank.
Her weakness is mobility as well, but that is only until you have a great loadout – after which you will be able to breeze through the enemies and bosses easily thanks to speed boosts and increased damage.
3. MUL-T (A+ Tier)
When it comes to Risk of Rain 2 MUL-T is easily one of the most popular characters due to its unique personality and abilities.
The character has one of the highest damage capabilities in the game as well as one of the fastest attack rates too, all the while having a great health capacity too.
He may lack good range, but starting with 12 armor and having the ability to easily gain more, as well as being able to hold two pieces of equipment easily make up for the very minor downside. So, if the characters without mobility aren’t working out for you, this is the next best thing on the Risk of Rain 2 tier list.
4. Huntress (A-Tier)
Huntress is a heavily offensive character with good range and great mobility, so if you’re looking for a bit of a tank character who can also keep dashing through the map – then this is the best character for you.
She has tons of skills that are easy to use and they deal great DPS with a decent AOE to make her even more effective. To top it all off, she can even sprint with her primary attack and her dash has an I-frame.
All of this may sound outrageously good, and it actually is too, but the reason she’s not an S-Tier character is that she’s not anything special when it comes to optimizing equipment items.
5. Loader (A-Tier)
Loader feels like he’s built for the game’s map, as she traverses the most conveniently through it thanks to the grappling hook. She deals a great amount of damage, has a very fun kit, and is compatible with many items which can make her very fun and powerful to play even though the hardest difficulties.
The only catch is that she takes a lot of trial and error for getting used to, but practicing has a great reward when you finally get around to it.
6. Mercenary (A-Tier)
Mercenary is a character that can be best described as high-risk, high-reward. It can take a while to master him since he’s a melee character in a game where most others rely on shooting – but once you get used to it, he can slice through large hoards of enemies with ease, something that many other characters struggle with.
You feel like a total badass while playing as a Mercenary as you have great damage and mobility at the same time and will find yourself dashing into the enemies rather than strategizing ways to get away from them.
7. The Captain (B-Tier)
The Captain may be the last person to enter the world of Risk of Rain 2, he’s unfortunately not one of the very best. While he’s great at optimizing items and equipment usage thanks to his ‘utility class, his attacks are very slow and have limited usage.
He’s fun to play as and can be utilized into quite a strong character, but players may find it not worth the effort and that it is better to just invest in a different character instead.
8. Rex (B-Tier)
You won’t find many people using Rex, and those that do act like loyalists to a cause. The reason behind that is the fact he is not very self-sustaining, and you need to have a decent loadout of items to survive most of the harder parts of the game.
If you fail to have the right items, you might find yourself nearly stuck.
However, he has a great DPS if you play your cards right and a life-stealing ability that allows him to manage his health pool well. In a way, if you’re one of the people who purposefully do runs of games where you limit yourself to certain items or difficulties, Rex is a great character to punish and challenge yourself with.
9. Acrid (C-Tier)
Acrid is an odd hybrid between melee and long-ranged characters, having abilities that make up for both. Unfortunately, having a bit of both but not enough to be great at either makes him more of a supporting character than someone you can have a great solo time with.
So, if you want to try something different in a game with co-op buddies, then he’s fun to mess around with – but if you’re trying to be effective then you will have to rely on other characters.
10. Commando (D-Tier)
Commando is the first character that the game lets you use, and he’s very easy to use. He has decent versatility when it comes to abilities as he can dodge, use stun, and has decent survivability.
His damage is lower than everyone else but with the right items he can do okay damage too, but it won’t be worth much and you won’t be willing to play him again as soon as you unlock the better characters.
Even if you like his playstyle, Huntress is kind of a better version of him anyway.
Risk of Rain 2 Character Unlock Guide
Now that we have the tier list out of the way and you know what characters are best suited for you, let’s get into the Risk of Rain 2 character unlock guide so you know how to have the characters too.
Here’s how to obtain all 10 characters available in the game:
- Commando – He is the first character you get to play as in the game and you don’t need to unlock him. Simply starting a game will have him available for you to use.
- MUL-T – Beating the first 5 levels of the game will unlock MUL-T, and he will be available for you to use from that point on.
- Mercenary – You have to obliterate yourself to unlock Mercenary, and that can be only done through specific circumstances. The earliest you can do that is by obliterating yourself at the Celestial Portal at the end of the seventh level in the game, by locating the Obelisk at the end of a floating path.
- Engineer – You have to complete 30 levels to unlock Engineer, from which point he will be available for you to use automatically.
- Huntress – Beat the first 3 levels of the game but without dying even once. It’s not that difficult of a task once you have the right items, but can be quite tricky in the beginning. You’d definitely have to go back for that at a later point.
- Artificer – You can free her from the Newt Shop for 10 Lunar Coins. Enemies in the game drop Lunar Coins randomly so make sure to grab them when you see them, and the portal to Newt’s Shop pops up randomly after clearing stages. You can also summon a Newt Altar before activating the teleporter and offer one Lunar Coin to make the Shop appear too.
- Loader – Complete the ‘Guardian Offline’ challenge in the Siren’s Call map and he will be unlocked for you to use from that point on automatically. What you need to do in the challenge to be more specific is to destroy five egg nests, and then defeat the Alloy Worship Unit boss.
- Rex – Complete the ‘Power Plant’ challenge by taking the Fuel Array from your pod and then taking it to Rex’s body in the Abyssal Depths map. It can be tricky since the fuel explodes if your health is below 50%, but it should be easy once you’re used to the game and have a decent character.
- Acrid – Acrid was a bit of a secret character early on, so unlocking him is tricky. You need to beat 9 challenges in the Void Fields area which is accessible through a secret purple portal hidden between a cave in Under the Bazaar, which is in the Bazaar Between Time. That’s quite a mouthful but the area is truly that awfully redirected.
- The Captain – Beat the final boss of the game, the Mithrix. Once the game is over and you manage to escape within the time limit after defeating the final boss, the credits roll and once you’re back at the menu, The Captain is available for you to play as.
That’s a wrap on the Risk of Rain 2 tier list and the guide to unlocking every character in the game. Do you agree with the tier list? Did we miss any important information? Let us know your thoughts and questions in the comments below, and make sure to check out some of the other quality lists and guides on our website.
- How to Fix Pokemon Go GPS Not Found Error
- How to Fix GTA 5 Exited Unexpectedly
- How to Change Name Color in Clash Royale
- 10 Best Discord Alternatives for Gamers in 2020